Featured post

Who, What and Why?

Tune into 107.8FM or find us on future radio on a Sunday at 5pm or 11pm, or a Tuesday at 11am; we are Platform arts and culture magazi...

Sunday 6 March 2016

Time for Training!

On the future radio website there's a section titled 'Get Involved' which encourages listeners to sign up and have a go at radio themselves.  Whether it's to do an internship, create a playlist or do some training, there are plenty of ways to become a member of the team.  It aims to cater to the needs of everyone from a Masters student in a broadcast journalism course, to a retiree who's always wanted to hear more swing on daytime radio.  If you've got the interest we've got the time, is the message we try to get across to the Norfolk public.




So the station constantly gets emails in from young wanna be's and music fanatics, which means every now and then we'll stick them all in a melting pot with a few training sessions, a bit of guidance and see what shiny new stars emerge!  Seriously though, the training is a great place to start for anyone who is interested in being involved in any aspect of the station.  It's where I started many years ago and it was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I was asked to do some training this time around, which I was pretty terrified about, but agreed to with a 'what the hell' kind of enthusiasm.  I mean you have to right?!  Specifically I was asked to go along to the sessions on editing and scripting, as that's what I spend a lot of my time doing as producer of Platform.

So around swings the Monday evening of my first session and I'm desperately watching YouTube videos on public speaking and stuffing my face with a sandwich before going off to teach, that's right I said it TEACH!  The sandwich isn't essential for teaching or training people, but I figured there's nothing worse than a rumbly tum when all eyes in the room are on you.  I went with this video from the tube...



It seemed like the least condescending and I liked watching the cartoons!  It's a good video from Watch WellCast and even if the woman narrating it does seem WAY too animated, it gets the points across in an easy-to-remember way.  They're actually a pretty great channel to subscribe to for any stress based issues you might want advice on.

So off I headed to the studios, safe in the knowledge that
  1.  I know my subject inside and out.
  2.  Dairy before a presentation is like the East River for a mafia enemy.
  3. Nobody likes a know it all.
  4. Homemade sandwiches by my boyfriend are awesome!









No comments:

Post a Comment